If you’ve ever looked around your home or office and thought that maybe it was time to get rid of a few things, you’re a prime candidate for home organisation and decluttering. An organised home or office is one of the best gifts you can give yourself and those around you. Decluttering offers countless benefits, from the practical ability to easily find items you need, to psychological benefits like reducing anxiety and improving relationships.
Doesn’t that sound great? Of course it does. But for many people, it’s easier said than done. Maybe you aren’t ready to get rid of your collector Lego sets or vintage record collection. We don’t blame you. But you don’t have to live with clutter. Self storage is the solution for many space-strapped Singaporeans who want to organise their homes and streamline their lives.
What is decluttering?
Decluttering is removing unwanted, unneeded and outdated items from your space. Some might go in the bin, some to charity and some can be put into self storage.
People choose to declutter when they realise they can’t live peacefully with all their possessions anymore. People who have successfully decluttered call the process highly rewarding. They report having more space and fewer worries in their day-to-day lives.
With the size of new homes in Singapore constantly shrinking and the prices for office space always rising, Singaporeans can’t be blamed for clutter. We simply have no space! But self storage is a solution that can help you lead a happier, more productive life.
How to declutter
Though there are various methods used to declutter, here are some home organisation tips that we’ve found useful for sorting through clutter.
1. Start with your most-used room. By starting in the space where you spend most of your time, you will reap the benefits quickly, getting a rewarding feeling that will help you move forward with the project.
2. Begin with the obvious. Look around. Surely there are items that have been bothering you, that you know need to go. Start with these. By tossing the piles of junk mail and bags of worn-out clothes, you make space to do the real work.
3. Deal with the large items. Now it’s time to make decisions about large items. Things like furniture and appliances that may be out-of-date or unworking. Arrange garbage or charity pickup for these space-eating items.
4. Divide the space and work on small areas. You should be able to get a better look at your space now. Within a room, choose one area for decluttering and work on it until it is clean and organised. Perhaps choose a messy closet or desk and dig in.
5. Sort items into piles. Make one for trash, one for charity donation and one for self storage. After the piles are made, remove the garbage, arrange a charity pickup and book a self storage space online using Space Next Door’s convenient online booking platform.
-For any electrical items or those with moving parts, check the item to be sure it’s in working condition before making a decision.
-If you have not used something for years and it has no sentimental or monetary value, it’s unlikely you will need it in the future.
Rewards of a clutter-free space
1. Housework is faster with less items to clean and clean around.
2. Ease of finding the items you need and fewer lost items.
3. Sense of pride when guests visit your home or office.
4. A happier, more relaxed feeling while at your home or office.
5. More space! Many people find that, after decluttering, they spend less time dreaming of a larger space and more time enjoying their new, organised home or office.
Consider Space Next Door
Space Next Door is one of Singapore’s most cutting-edge self storage companies. We offer detailed descriptions of our spaces and locations as well as guides for what and how to store. The best part? You can book storage space online in just minutes and begin storing your items the same day.
We know that Singaporeans are busy. That’s why we’ve revised the traditional self storage rental script, moving it from requesting a quote and booking an appointment to a streamlined online self storage rental process that’s fast and efficient.
Of course, if you’d rather give us a call and visit the space first, we’re always happy to meet you and offer a full explanation of the benefits and a tour of the space. It’s all up to you.